Thursday, July 26, 2012

David Cameron Praises Marriage Equality Right Before Romney Visit

 From the Towleroad:
Awkward! In an effort to win over right wing Republicans, presidential candidate Mitt Romney has bent over backward to distance himself from the pro-equality politics of his past.
He's also trying to woo voters by expanding his foreign policy experience, something he thinks can be achieved with visits to Israel, Poland and London.

The latter may complicate both missions: CNN reports this morning that British Prime Minister David Cameron yesterday held a special dinner for LGBT activists at his official residence, 10 Downing Street, and made remarks that reaffirmed his much-publicized support for nuptial equality — just one day before meeting with Romney.

"I think marriage is a great institution – I think it helps people to commit, it helps people to say that they’re going to care and love for another person,” Cameron said at the dinner. "It helps people to put aside their selfish interests and think of the union that they’re forming. It’s something I feel passionately about and I think if it’s good enough for straight people like me, it’s good enough for everybody and that’s why we should have gay marriage and we will legislate for it."

Cameron has also argued that conservative ideology inherently supports marriage equality, saying last October, "Conservatives believe in the ties that bind us; that society is stronger when we make vows to each other and support each other. So I don’t support gay marriage despite being a Conservative. I support gay marriage because I’m a Conservative."
Does this mean that Romney is, as many on the right have argued, not sufficiently conservative?

I've always thought Brit bois were some of the hawtest on the planet and PM David Cameron just showed me how hard a Brit boi can make my fat Ulf cock.  Seriously, I could spread my cheeks right here and now, and that's really sayin' somethin'

No comments: