Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Gay Man Plants Pride Flag On Russia's Highest Mountain

Keith Tomlinson, 29, from Evelyn Terrace, Brighton, said he wanted to raise awareness of LGBT people in a mark of defiance of the Russian anti-gay laws.
When asked why he wanted to climb the 5,642m peak of Mt Elbrus in the western Caucasus mountain range, he said he “wanted to do something cheeky” while raising money for a LGBT equality charity.
He said: “I am gay and I don’t care about your silly laws, I am me”.
LGBT rights in Russia have been a contentious issue since new laws were brought in by Putin’s government in 2013.
Russian legislation bans the promotion of what is considered the propaganda of non-traditional sexual relations. This piece of law has effectively made it illegal to be openly homosexual.

Mr Tomlinson said: “I hid the rainbow flag at the bottom of my sleeping bag just in case.”

I wonder if Putin will climb the mountain (shirtless of course) himself and rip it down with his bare teeth?

No comments: