Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Brian Brown Brings Real Humor To The Twitterverse

When Brian Brown, president of the National Organization for Marriage (NOM), on Monday asked whether marriage equality will lead to people marrying themselves, Twitter erupted in laughter.
“When #marriage is redefined, what prevents a person from 'marrying' his/herself?” Brown tweeted.

Brown's tweet promoted a NOM blog post commenting on a Guardian story about a woman who decided to marry herself. And although the marriage was not legal and the woman said she was open to “sharing” a wedding with another person, NOM saw it as a result of marriage equality.
“When marriage is devalued and its nature loosely defined, what prevents marriage norms – such as sexual complementary, monogamy, exclusivity, permanence, or even the idea that marriage requires two people – from being broken down as well?” NOM rhetorically asked.
Using the hashtag #WhenIMarryMyself, Twitter users responded with whimsical humor.
“WhenIMarryMyself I'm going to ask @briansbrown to walk me down the aisle and I'm going to legally compel @PeterLaBarbera to be flower girl,” gay rights activist Dan Savage messaged, referring to anti-gay activist Peter LaBarbera.
“My mother warned me about guys like me!” Robert Heuer tweeted.
“Oops I forgot to save myself for my wedding night,” Towleroad's Andy Towle messaged.
GoodAsYou.org's Jeremy Hooper added: “#WhenIMarryMyself I will finally fulfill the wishes of all of those anti-gay activists who wished I'd go f*** myself.”
Here's more from the Towleroad

No comments: