Sunday, August 16, 2015

British rugby player Comes Out As Gay

Rugby player Keegan Hirst is the first British rugby player to come out as gay.
Hirst, 27, gave an interview with the Mirror in which he announced his real sexuality saying: ‘Now I feel free.’
In the interview he said he struggled with suicidal thoughts, though he never actually ‘tied a noose’, and relied on friends and family to help him pull through.
He told his wife months before the interview, saying his ‘stomach was in knots’ and he couldn’t get the words out.
After he told her they both cried, but he insisted it wasn’t her fault: ‘It was my fault’.
The rugby star, who is captain of the West Yorkshire side Batley Bulldogs, has split up with his wife of four years and hasn’t yet told his two children, who are two and seven years old.
‘We haven’t told the kids yet, they’re too young to understand,’ he said.
The struggle with his identity was a huge strain on him before coming out.
After each game he’d go out: ‘I was drinking 20 pints plus every time. I’d roll in at 5.30[am] on a Monday and have to be up for work at six.
‘My wife would ask why was I out till all hours, who was I with, what was I doing, where had I been.
‘It wasn’t that I wasn’t happy with her, it was that I wasn’t happy with myself.’
Now he says: ‘I’m comfortable in my own skin, probably for the first time ever.’

Hirst goes up against his team’s local rivals Dewsbury today – but isn’t worried about homophobic taunts.

3 comments:

centurionF said...

Gareth Thomas, former Welsh captain in both rugby union and rugby league (different codes), was the first professional rugby player to come out as gay, in 2009. He received Hero of the Year award from the UK gay charity Stonewall, and was named most influential gay person in the UK by the Pink List. An incredible bloke. And well hot

Ulf Raynor said...

No argument from me, I could slam Gareth's hole for days.
Then again...I wouldn't mind burying my face between Keegan's mounds and lick my way to his tonsils either.

n8steve said...

Hi Ulf, what the piece you posted didn't say is that Keegan plays Rugby League not Rugby Union - there are 2 different codes and Gareth Thomas plays Union so Keegan is the first League player to come out. The other thing it didn't quote from the original interview is this:
“I haven’t been out as a gay guy on the pull yet, so that’ll be a new experience. I don’t know yet how these things work.”
Seems he remained faithful to his wife despite what he was going through in his head. I'm sure there will be blokes lining up - and I'd love to be in the queue!

http://hardnhornystuff.tumblr.com/post/126821560435/rugby-league-player-keegan-hirst-is-the-first