Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Brother Vs Brother



Here's part of what Donald Collins wrote to his brother Charlie Collins for voting against gay equal protection laws:
A Valentines Day letter to the Arkansas GLBT Community and their extended families and friends:I write you this Valentines Day letter on the one-year wedding anniversary to my husband to apologize for not being able to do more to help my brother understand the devastating impact discriminatory bills like the one he supported Friday have on not just the LGBT community, but on their friends, family as well as the entire population of Arkansas.
My brother, Arkansas House of Representative Charlie Collins (District 84), cast his vote Friday in support of the SB202 in part because of what he called an “overreach” by the Fayetteville City Council, the town where he lives and represents in his district. Last August the Fayetteville City Council passed Chapter 119, an anti-discriminatory ordinance that Charlie soon spoke out against and successfully campaigned to repeal in a special election last December.

Arkansas bill SB202 blocks all cities and counties from enacting anti-discrimination laws that protect LGBT people. Buzzfeed News reports the bill’s sponsor, Republican Senator Bart Hester, sponsored the measure to create consistent policies across Arkansas that will attract business, and that he was infuriated that cities were attempting to expand civil rights laws for LGBT people. ­ Rather than working for fairness and support by following the lead of more than 300 major US businesses that have adopted inclusive, non-discriminatory protections because they know it’s good for business, my brother and the other Arkansas legislators who voted for SB202 chose to move their state backward with a bigoted, hurtful bill that by Hester’s own admission is a reactionary one in the face of growing acceptance and political power of the LGBT community. What’s incredible to me is that my brother supported this bill even though he has a gay brother and a lesbian sister.
"SB202 does much more than just grandstand, and sadly I can’t call him to thank him for his vote, which is why I am writing this letter today. I realized in the middle of my sadness and frustration that my brother has a vote, but I have a voice.
I can speak out against discrimination and ask Governor Asa Hutchinson to veto SB202 on the grounds that it only serves to discriminate and divide Arkansas. I can encourage the people of Arkansas to contact Governor Hutchinson to work toward a better solution. If the goal is, as Bart Hester suggests, “to create consistent policies across Arkansas that will attract business” then show real leadership and veto this bill and work together with my brother to create a bill that protects all workers from discrimination in the workplace which will attract new workers and new companies, instead of repel them.
I can also hope that Charlie understands that the decisions he makes and the votes he takes are not just political, they are personal and they affect people in ways he couldn't possible imagine because he’s never had to deal with the oppression of a society that treats you differently because of who you are attracted to and who you love."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just face the fact ..your brother is an asshole!!!!!!!!!!!!