Tuesday, August 29, 2017

College Football Player Comes Out To Entire School And Teammates At Pep Rally


How’s this for a coming out story? When Xavier Colvin, a linebacker for Butler University’s football team, stepped on stage, it wasn’t to give his teammates a pep talk. It was to tell them he is gay.
After initially telling his head coach, Jeff Voris, and linebackers coach, Derek Day, they encouraged him to tell the rest of the team.
So he took to the stage, microphone in hand, and told his story. He spoke of growing up, playing football, and what it means to be a gay athlete.
Fortunately, he received nothing but support for his words.
His coming out speech happened earlier this month, but was only reported on yesterday by Outsports.
‘Afterwards I got texts and phone calls,’ Colvin told the LGBT athletes website. ‘The freshmen who didn’t know me came and shook my hand. And they all said, “we’ve got your back.” They told me how proud they were of me. Not even a single negative reaction. It was all positive.’
Despite the fact that discrimination and homophobia still exist, Colvin believes support does show changing times.

‘What I’ve come to learn from my 105 teammates and 15 coaches is that no one cares, and it’s not as big of a deal as it used to be,’ he said. ‘People care more about you as a person and your mental health. It took me a while to learn that.’
It took Colvin time to come to terms with his sexuality. While he expressed he wishes he had come out sooner, he’s expressing nothing but positivism now: ‘I feel like with the increased role this fall, on top of being more mature, I think this will work out well.’
He also hopes his story can help others.
‘Other LGBT athletes and non-athletes have to realize they are not alone,’ he said. ‘There are other people with similar stories, similar backgrounds.’

No comments: