Friday, March 15, 2013

Nebraska Lawmaker Questions Orientation Of 'Ex-Gay' Man Opposed To Gay Protections


Nebraska State Senator Ernie Chambers questioned the sexual orientation of a supposedly “ex-gay” man after testifying against a proposed gay protections bill.
Testifying Thursday before the Senate Judiciary Committee considering the measure which seeks to ban workplace discrimination based on sexual orientation, Gordon Opp argued that such a measure would “violate my freedom to hold the belief that homosexuality is not equal to heterosexuality.”
“When I was young, I was free to make my decisions to leave homosexuality,” Opp testified. “The government was not telling me my values were wrong. My public school teachers taught me that tolerance means to recognize and be respectful toward those who believe and act contrary to my values. Today, tolerance is being defined by our government as approval of values that go contrary to all that is true about me. As you well know, when laws are passed to protect one group, they often violate freedoms of another group.”
A loud outburst was heard when Chambers asked Opp “did you enjoy the sex that you had” with other men.
Responding to the outburst, Chambers stated: “We have a lot of Christians in this room and they do not respect the rules, as they should.”
“Now, you brought up the fact that you practiced homosexuality …”
“Yes,” Opp interrupted.
“Did you enjoy the sex that you had, when you were having it?”
When Opp refused to give a straight answer, Chambers added: “And you said it yourself, didn't you? That you enjoy the heterosexual experiences you're having.”
“Yes,” Opp answered.
“So, might it be, that you were neither homosexual or heterosexual but bisexual?”
“I did enjoy the homosexual sex,” Opp responded. “But for the wrong reasons. I learned the lie that it was. That it was trying to meet needs that I shouldn't get met in a sexual way.”
“I'm not even questioning your motivation for why you did either what you did while a practicing homosexual or why you do what you do as a heterosexual. I'm just indicating that when a person enjoys sex with both genders the person is bisexual.”
“I'm not bisexual,” Opp insisted.
I've watched this lengthy exchange the Senator had with this man, it was plainly clear, he chose to be heterosexual and this was exactly the point the Senator was trying to make, that just because this man chose a life of heterosexuality doesn't mean we all must choose too do so.
I think the Senator nailed this when he asked the man if he enjoyed having heterosexual sex, which the man said yes, very much.
Thus prompting Chambers to point out that this sounded more like a bisexual man choosing his heterosexual side over his homosexual side.
I couldn't agree more.

No comments: