Thursday, March 21, 2013

Overheard On The Subway

 By Rafi D'Angelo:

I was on my way to work, zoned out listening to some old school Shania Twain to get my life right, when two construction worker types got on the train at Penn Station.  They were both middle-aged white guys with Long Island accents, mustaches, dirty jeans — the type of guys you’d expect to see on a building site.  I caught a piece of their conversation when the music died before the song changed, and I decided to record them.
Normally, boring people and their boring conversations don’t interest me in the least, but the music dropped out right when Guy #1 said “My wife wants me to get fixed like a dog but I don’t see why she can’t just keep taking the pill.”  That in itself isn’t inherently interesting, but the fact that he was openly discussing it on a public subway train made me hit the record button real quick to see what else would come out.  I’ve been doing this for about 6 months now, trying to catch interesting things on the subway, but I haven’t had any luck so far because I ride boring trains.  
Today was good though.
Guy #2:  No more kids for you two?
Guy #1:  No, she figures we’re both getting too old for a baby.
Guy #2:  How is your boy anyway?  Haven’t seen him in awhile.
Guy #1:  Oh John’s good, pitching this year varsity.
Guy #2:  He’ll definitely have the girls hanging around him now.
Guy #1:  Yeah if he had any time for them.
Guy #2:  Focused on baseball?
Guy #1:  Focused on boys.
Guy #2:  You’re shittin me!
Guy #1:  I kid you not.  Came out to me and Mary Ann bold as daylight last year.
Guy #2:  Well I’ll be damned!  I’m not supposed to know it but I overheard Patrick Junior tell his sister he might be gay not two months ago.
Guy #1:  We all saw that coming though.
Guy #2:  You’re the second person to say that.  How’d everybody see it but me?
Guy #1:  It was just a feelin Pat.  He was always a little soft, ya know?
Guy #2:  I guess you’re right.  But damn Charlie, we both have gay kids.  What do we do now?  Both our sons are gay.
Guy #1:  We don’t do anything.  We let em be gay and if some kid calls em a faggot we go to their house and raise hell with the parents like normal.
Guy #2:  Well I guess John and Lucinda won’t be getting together like we thought awhile ago.
Guy #1:  Guess not.
**long pause**
Guy #2:  Hey Charlie, you thinkin what I’m thinkin?
Guy #1:  I was for about half a second then it got weird and I started thinkin about somethin else instead.

By that point I was holding back a little tear, but they changed the conversation to something about a building code.  I thought about posting the video but I don’t know how to blur people’s faces.  Still, I thought this little exchange should be broadcast to the Internet.
And filed away under The Future of Dads with Gay Sons.

1 comment:

MUSCLEMAN said...

This is amazing. This is the future. I was expecting to read alot of hateful comments about their sons and how they can change them but this is something else! So proud of those guys. Also im proud of the growing portion of society that is starting to accept. :)