Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Christian rock star Trey Pearson comes out gay

Trey Pearson had a simple message on Facebook today: ‘To my fans and friends: I’m finally being honest with myself. I love you all.’
The Christian rock star and member of the band Everyday Sunday attached a link to an article in 614 Columbus in which he announces to the world that he is gay.
‘Most of us reach at least one pivotal moment in our lives that better defines who we are,’ Pearson says. ‘These last several months have been the hardest—but also have ended up being the most freeing months—of my life. To make an extremely long story short, I have come to be able to admit to myself, and to my family, that I am gay.’
Pearson is married to a woman named Lauren and they have a young daughter and son together.
He explains that he grew up in a very conservative Christian home where he was taught that his sexual orientation was a matter of choice.
‘I had never before admitted to myself that I was gay, let alone to anyone else,’ he says.
‘I never wanted to be gay. I was scared of what God would think and what all of these people I loved would think about me; so it never was an option for me. I have been suppressing these attractions and feelings since adolescence. I’ve tried my whole life to be straight.’
He grew up ‘so scared’ that God would hate him. He had never kissed a woman passionately until his wedding night and just hoped ‘everything would come naturally.’
‘I had always romanticized the idea of falling in love with a woman; and having a family had always been my dream. In many ways, that dream has come true. But I have also come to realize a lot of time has passed in my life pushing away, blocking out and not dealing with real feelings going on inside of me. I have tried not to be gay for more than 20 years of my life.’
Pearson says when he and Lauren got married he had the full intention of spending the rest of his life with her.
But he eventually realized nothing was going to change who he is and he confided in his wife.
‘Lauren has been the most supportive, understanding, loving and gracious person I could ever ask for, as I have come to face this. And now I am trying to figure out how to co-parent while being her friend, and how to raise our children.
‘I know this is how God made me, and I am proud of who I am. I know there is nothing I can do to change it.’

No comments: