Sunday, November 27, 2011

Musical Interlude

Today marks the 69th birthday of Jimi Hendrix.
As a very young, prepubescent Ulf, my parents took me to see the movie Woodstock, oddly enough, we caught the movie on a Marine Corps base in Albany Georgia.
Most of what I saw that night really didn't influence me until I saw Hendrix play. 
As a fledgling guitarist, I sat there in awestruck thru his entire performance and realized for the first time in my young life, just how powerful music can be, so powerful in fact, that when he started adding war noises during the Star Spangled Banner, many of the Marines in the audience got up and left the theater in disgust. 
The memory of that moment will forever be etched in my mind as a pivotal turning point in my ideology.

2 comments:

taco said...

Thanx for trying to include this vid. Shame the copywrite laws won't allow it. This was a turning point in my musical listening, as well. The other turning point was hearing Janis Joplin in the Monterey Fest film.

Ulf Raynor said...

Fixed Taco.
Joplin I first heard on the radio, great set O lungs on that little gal.