Sunday, April 29, 2012

The Need For Speed

Today, I have a confession...I'm an addict.
You see, I'm a gear head.
My addiction started as a kid, one that developed from helping my dad work on the various family cars we had throughout the years, and came too fruition as a teenager.
I was fortunate enough to foster friendships with others that shared my passion and we would spend countless weekend hours working on and supeing up the various vehicles we could get our hands on.  
I learned the art of the barter during this time, exchanging anything of value and rendering work services for desired parts.
This addiction continues to this day, but has molded and refined itself into a passion for muscle cars and the ever elusive need for speed and power.
That said, I offer you my impassioned list of dream machines:

First up... the Maclaren F1 set a speed record for its day back in 1998, reaching 242.95 mph, achieving 0-60 in 3.2 seconds. Only about 106 were produced between 1992 and 1998. It is known for its batwing doors, as well as its 627 horsepower, V12 engine.
Second...The Koenigsegg Agera R, built by the Swedish manufacturer Koenigsegg, and has been tested to reach 260 mph, reaching 0-60 in 2.9 seconds. It displaced the company's CCX model also on the list of world's fastest cars.
The Agera is powered by the company's own Koenigsegg aluminum 5.0-liter V8, which produces 1,140 horsepower. 
And my all time fave, drool inducing passion...the Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Super Sport.
The Veyron boast a quad turbocharged W-16 engine and produces a remarkable 1200 bhp peaking at 6400 rpm and 1106 lb.-ft. of torque from 3000 to 5000 rpm.





 

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ulf, you would have been in heaven if you had met my first step-father's father (my "step-grandfather" if you will.) His father was a wealthy business man affiliated with the auto industry and by the time he retired he had quite the car collection! Some could be found at the Crawford Auto and Aviation Museum in Cleveland, others were at his personal museum down in Boca. His collection included everything; from the early 1900's to a few top sports cars of the 1990's when he kind of stopped buying. I remember the AMG Mercedes and the Lamborghini which were two of my favorites, though I must say there is some serious elegance to some of the more expensive cars from the early days of auto production. I learned recently he passed away several years ago, I suspect my stepather at the time must have inherited some and others were probably sold-off to new collectors.

We gotta work on getting the "Ulf" brand going and getting you some income to pursue this passion!

-Gregorio

Ulf Raynor said...

Kewl, get me the 2.5 mil it would take for the Bugatti and I'll be the happiest man on the planet.

Dyn0 said...

GRRRRR! I am driving a car that i bought for 2 reasons.. I can park it in San Francisco and its got 260HP vs 2800 Lbs

Love a good fast ride!

Ulf Raynor said...

Well Dyn0 when I get the Bugatti I'll swing by and test drive both of ya at the same time.