Thursday, November 3, 2011

Novembers Guest Artist Of The Month...Bulklust

I've only recently started corresponding with Neil Bruce, but have admired his work for some time.

His talent for masculine imagery for me, stands well above his contemporaries.

His art is rife with boi/man lust and captures the intensity that most artist fail to achieve.

Bold, beautiful strokes and a keen sense of light and shadow, Neil captures the heat of the moment.

Thanx for sharing your talent with us Neil and I hope someday to drink a six pack with ya bud..oh and we'll probably talk shop a little too.


Here's a brief Bio and interview:




Neil Bruce was born in New York City in 1958, and grew up in Dobbs Ferry NY, graduated Cooper Union 1981. He worked in advertising for 15 years before returning to fine art. Mediums include drawing, painting, sculpture, photography and Photoshop.

His works have been on view at the Leslie Lohman gallery and the Sacred Body Arts gallery in N.Y.C. As well as The Ron Fowler and The Icon galleries in Provincetown MA. Also Bear Icons Shows I thru IV. as well as at the following events:

Tom of Finland NY Erotic Art Fairs, Leatherfest, Gay Pride, Rockland NY,Leather Pride Night, N.Y.C.The Lure, N.Y.C.
Boston Pride, NewYork Erotic Art Expo, and Bear Trek.

Magazines Include: Bulk Male, 100% Beef, BQ (Big Men's Quarterly) and Growler Gazette.

Most recently his work was included in the Bruno Gmunder publication: BIG LOVE.

Neils website:
http://www.bearoticart.com/

Neils Blog:
http://bearoticart.blogspot.com/

1. Neil, would you describe the nature of your work and the thought process that goes into it?

My work has evolved into a process of tapping into some very personal visions rooted in erotic desire. Especially the pieces that are done in Photoshop, that are started on a black background. These works come forward by closing my eyes or being in a room of total darkness; they are often created with little forethought but simply come out of my mind's eye as the work progresses...


2. I love the boldness of your strokes and your use of light and shadow to add an almost eerie atmosphere to your work, what mediums do you use to achieve your visions?

As mentioned these are created in Photoshop using the airbrush tools and laying in medium tones first-working my way up to the highlights. Depending on the complexity of the image they may require 20 or more layers in Photoshop.



3. How old where you when you first started doing artwork and when did you first start doing erotic works?

I have been drawing since I was a boy; I had one very big influence growing up. Irv Novick (DC comic book artist) lived across the street. He taught me about anatomy and perspective. My erotic work didn't come about until I was in my early 30's.


4. This is a standard question, who influenced you early on artistically and if any, who/what influences your work today?

My influences are pretty traditional such as Caravaggio, Thomas Hart Benton, Rockwell Kent, Rodin, Cadmus and many more. I am also a huge fan of several artists working in the same genre as me: Minoru, Rex, Oliver Frey, Rob Clarke, Harry Bush and Ulf, just to name a few...


5. Ultimately, what are you hoping to achieve with your art and where do you see it heading from here?

I'd love to at least create one hefty coffee table book of my work. I am also interested in exploring some other software out there (Poser maybe) and /or creating "films" or the like. I am currently working with an animator who is using more than 60 of my B/W images to create a promotional piece.


6. Every artist has their least and favorite part of doing a pic, can you share what yours are?

Sometimes I get a bit bored with the backgrounds in my pieces (which is why I often resort to photographic elements). For me the drama takes place between the faces of my subjects.


7. This is one I'm sure everyone wants to know, does your artwork reflect your lifestyle or is this just pure fantasy and lust for the subject matter?

Only my hairdresser know for sure! O.K it's mostly the latter; I recently married my partner of 15 plus years. We are are a very staid couple. Aside from Bear/ Leather events to promote my work; we are quite content with each others company.


8. Is there any medium you haven't tried your hand at and if so, what and why?

There are a few printmaking techniques I have yet to try; and as I mentioned before I would like to explore some motion software; mostly a lack of resources is the only reason I' have yet to.


9. What gets you hot about men in general?

Simply put: Brute masulinity is a HUGE turn-on for me, with perhaps a sense of danger or an unpredictable nature thrown in; can be a big factor for me. Also an attitude of indiffernce or even stupidity is also very attractive, in other words a big lug.


10. Once again and you had to know this was coming...have you ever jacked off to your own artwork?
I would say no to this one; but to paraphrase Tom of Finland "If I don't feel a spark of desire in creating these images then I can assume no one else will".


11. What one thing would you like your fans to know about you that they may or may not know already?

That I'm also a competent landscape artist, and that Neil Bruce is not my full name...


12. Final question, if you ever invite me over what kinda' beer ya gonna offer me to quench my considerable thirst?

Maybe Pete's Wicked Ale--I think that would be a good fit for both your art and mine.....

No comments: