Saturday, September 17, 2016

If You Touch Mine, I Might Touch Yours...

The anti-LGBT law in North Carolina that sparked outrage at the start of this year may be repealed, if a pro-LGBT law in the North Carolina city of Charlotte is scrapped first.
According to the logic of North Carolina Governor Pat McCrory, two things must happen for the controversial House Bill 2 law to be revisited:
  1. The law in Charlotte that offers protections for LGBT people must be repealed, and
  2. A majority of North Carolina lawmakers must back the repeal
A proposed revisit of the law comes about after strong backlash from organizations, music artists and sporting events cancelling events in North Carolina out of protest.
The latest boycott comes from the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) who cancelled an all-star basketball game in the state.

NBA basketballer, Stephen Curry, grew up in North Carolina and has since come out against the law.
‘I know the league is in a position where they have to make a decision… and we support that. But at the end of the day, I love my city. I love Charlotte, I love everything about it.’
‘I really wanted to see them celebrate the game. It’s unfortunate they won’t be able to do that,’ Curry said.
The American college football organisation ACC has also announced they will be pulling out from games in North Carolina.

No comments: