Sunday, March 27, 2016

Baseball coach apologizes for saying 'we kill gay people'

Former baseball pro Tyler Dunnington recently came out publicly and said he quit the game because of homophobic behavior around him by coaches and fellow players.
Among the most egregious incidents involved a coach saying ‘We kill gay people in Wyoming.’
That coach has been identified as Sean McKinney who is now a baseball coach at Colorado Mesa University.
McKinney said this week he’s sorry for what he said and for the impact it might have had on Dunnington when he was playing for a St. Louis Cardinals minor league team.
‘As the story spread and more stuff was revealed, it got really tough this week,” McKinney tells Outsports.
‘I’m forever in debt to the people in this university and my friends and family. They know my true character. Some of that is in question, obviously, because of what’s gone on with Tyler’s story. But I would never harm anyone on our team. This week I’m sure this has been questions about how I feel about Tyler. I hope he’s OK. I called him this morning to apologize. I want him to have a good life.’
McKinney will not be fired from his current job and has already met with LGBT community on his campus and says the experience is teaching him a lot.

‘I’ve made some off-the-cuff comments, and one in particular was not right. Tyler heard it, and I apologized for it. Through this process I’m learning everyone’s stories and what the impact of our language is.’

Before you say live and let live, he's apologized, the "We kill gay people in Wyoming" was without a doubt a reference to Matthew Shepard.
Though he insist it was just a really poor joke and in very bad taste, I would still like to know, exactly how the brutal murder of a young gay man could in any way be considered humorous?
What does it say about this mans character to even find humor in such a vicious, deadly assault?

This and stories like this, take me back to my band days.
The time was 1988 and I had been in one particular band for about 4 years, we all knew just about everything there was to know about each other and like most bands, there was considerable openness in our usually jovial banter. 
Being the only gay member of the group with four other young heterosexual men, there were those times when we would just be hanging out, drinking or toking and one or more of them would start asking questions about being gay or gay sex (usually the latter) and though sometimes the wording of their questions might be construed as offensive to an outsider, I knew that it was just curiosity and usually tried answering without sounding confrontational about it and most times with a bit of humor (to ease any kind of tension, depending on the topic of discussion)
It was mid July, and after a particularly bad previous few weeks (our singers older sister had been hit and killed by a drunk driver about a month prior to this evening) we had a really good song writing session that evening that made the mood noticeably lighter and feel more *back to normal*.
After a few beers and a couple of joints everyone started telling jokes they'd heard, some good, some just completely lame, when our singer, still laughing from a previous joke, whipped out this little gem: "What do you call a group of gay gays on skateboards? (he added the punchline rapidly after)
"Roll Aid's".
A couple of the other guys snickered, before catching themselves and all eye's turned on me.
Now understand, all these guys knew I had lost friends to this horrible disease and knew several others that were quite ill from it at that current time.
I was livid at his absolute callousness and looking him dead in the eyes I responded: "And hopefully they all roll over and piss on your dead sisters grave."
The look of absolute shock on all their faces and the singers growing, red faced anger and my seething, defiant glare, left the room speechless and quiet as a packed my guitar, walked to the door and informed them, I would be back later, when they weren't there, to get the rest of my equipment.
Four years of work, washed away by one stupid, insensitive, humorless joke.

















1 comment:

bdsmjack said...

What a dick. He didn't even try to apologize?